Revelation 2:1-17 - Got Your Ears On?

I have to thank the CB radio craze of the mid '70s for helping me to do what few married men are able to do. After 32 years of marriage I still have not forgotten the date I asked Sandie to marry me. That's right, guys, I am not talking about remembering the wedding anniversary (which, even that, some husbands have difficulty recalling.) I'm talkin' engagement anniversary; popping-the-question anniversary! On October 4th, 1977 at the Liberty Diner on Middle Country Road, I asked, ring in hand, "Will you marry me?" And she said, "Yes, I will." So what do CB radios have to do with this? October 4th is also 10-4, which is the CB code for 'OK, message received.' She got my message and I got hers; that was a big 10-4, good buddy!


I think Jesus would have enjoyed citizen's band radio. At the end of each of the seven letters he dictated in the book of Revelation, he states, "Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit is saying ..." Sounds much like, "Got your ears on?" CB slang for 'are you on the air and listening?' Since the word for Spirit in both Hebrew and Greek is "breath, wind or air," it all seems to fit together. So let's get our ears on; let's listen and hear what the Air of God is broadcasting.


Separate blog entries could be written about each of the letters to the seven churches, but there are three such letters in today's One Year Bible passage. Let's compare them and see what they have in common:


1 Each one is written to the "angel" of the church, or "messenger" of the church. That would be the preacher, the one who brings the message from the Lord. God speaks through the leader to engage the whole group. This also makes the leader accountable.


2 Each one has a special description of Jesus, the author of the letter - "These are the words of Him who ..." Watch how the unique description fits in with the thrust of the body of the letter.


3 Each one reveals that Jesus is familiar with the churches and their circumstances. "I know ..."


4 Each letter has an imperative from the Lord - "Repent; Be faithful; Repent."


5 Each one has a call to focus on the message - "Whoever has ears let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches." Implicit is the encouragement to take what they hear seriously and act upon it.


6 Each one has a reward offered for persevering to the end - "To the one who is victorious," or "To the one who overcomes ..." 


There are more CB 10-codes than just 10-4. Jesus would have used them here with His seven letters. 10-44: I have a message for you.  10-17: Urgent business!  10-67: All units comply. Then in the end, He could tx a big 10-99: Mission completed, all units secure.


Pray: Thank you, Jesus, for being a God who communicates. May your Spirit in me continue to speak to my soul and guide my thoughts, delivering wisdom just when I need it. Keep reminding me of who you are, and what you know, what I need to do, and what I can hope to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment