Matthew 11:7-30 - Influence and Control

Many people and organizations have the strong desires to influence and to exercise control over others. There is a sense of power and authority, a sense of being able to accomplish one's goals when influence and control are flexed. Unfortunately, this is often done at the expense of others. Individuals and organizations merely use people to advance their own agendas. Influence and control from other sources are perceived as threats to the agenda. Resistance to 'outside' influence and control becomes a tactic.


Jesus described His generation as a generation seeking influence and control. "You shout in the marketplace, 'We played a tune; why didn't you dance? We sang a funeral song; why didn't you mourn?'" They were so committed to their own influence that they resisted, rejected God's influence (the One who truly IS in control). John the Baptist came as a great prophet and the forerunner of the awaited Messiah, a divine influence under the control of God, and yet he was rejected by many. "John came with a commitment to fasting and preaching, yet people said he was demon-possessed!"


Jesus came, God in the flesh, to draw people to Himself, away from sin and toward salvation. Jesus came to ordinary people, enjoying the food and drink of the common man. "[Jesus] came eating and drinking and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.'" He came to influence them for the Kingdom, but many resisted His influence. 


Jesus had performed amazing wonders in the cities of Chorazin, Bethsaida and Capernaum. But the citizens did not turn from their sin to Christ. I guess they had their own agendas. They were too busy attempting to control their own fates to submit to the Lordship of Christ.


Or maybe they thought they could do a better job of managing their lives and finding their own comfort zones. That's just foolish. The weight and weariness of this life press down on us and only One has the remedy. Jesus.


“Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”


Pray: Father, help me to see the superior advantage of allowing You to influence and control my life. Your desire is to give me rest and ease, to lighten my load and bless my soul. You send me messengers and You do miracles before me and on my behalf. Help me to see and hear them clearly and receive them as one who wishes to live this life as a grateful blessing to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment