August 15 - 1 Corinthians 9:19-10:13 - Winning Requires Discipline

I am a football fan. I’ve watched the game on TV as far back as I can remember. Side by side with my Dad, who played semi-pro ball with the Clason Point Rams, we’d cheer for the Giants and the Jets. I played sandlot ball, but mostly street ball – you know, where you use the parked cars for screens to catch the down-and-outs. When the seasons changed and the bats or the hoops came out, I still just wanted to play football. Thank goodness Chuck Mandery felt the same way. I was his WR and he was my QB. We would throw and catch almost every day. We were devoted and disciplined. We got our timing down. And when we played on the same team, we won a lot.

Do you see how many times in today’s text it says, “to win,” “to get the prize,” “to get the crown?” Some make sports their god. But others learn from sports to serve their God. One of the biggest lessons learned is, “No one wins carelessly.” You have to want it, and you have to be willing to do what it takes to get it. Paul says, if it means being flexible and adaptable, I’ll do it. If it means pursuing excellence, I’ll do it. If it means strict training, discipline and sacrifice, I’ll do it. Because in this ‘game’ called the Christian Life, winning means winning God’s pleasure and the souls of men!

Many of our churches are shrinking and dying off. And for many, the reason has been a lack of the winning attitude. Mediocre, maintenance Christianity does not win souls, neither the pleasure of God. Careless Christianity does not win against temptation, even though there are plenty of examples in Scripture to warn us against such carelessness. And don’t you know, God is rooting for us; He wants us to win! He provides the way out of every temptation. He provides the blessings of today’s victories and the crowning prize of our ultimate victory.

Let’s run this race like we mean to win it. Get training. Get disciplined. Name the lost you aim to win and win them. Win against evil. Win the pleasure of God!

Pray: Triumphant Lord, help me move to the next level of desire, devotion and discipline. Help me make the commitment to do whatever it takes to win souls for You. Coach me out of my complacency. Keep me focused so that temptation becomes something peripheral and easily overlooked as I pursue your goal – saving the lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment