August 28 - 2 Corinthians 2:12-17 - Something Doesn’t Smell Right

Some people’s faith is stronger than others. My faith in refrigeration is stronger than my wife’s.  We try to be good stewards of our food budget so we Tupperware our leftovers and put them in the fridge. (Did I just use Tupperware as a verb?) Sandie thinks they’ll be good for three days and then we need to toss ’em. I think they’ll be good for three weeks. Well, come on, it’s refrigeration! This is what the ice box was invented for – long-term food storage. Unfortunately, under my scheme, some items get tucked to the back and forgotten. Until one day, I open the door and something doesn’t smell right.. Science project, anyone? Home-made penicillin? At that moment, the only thing stronger than my faith in the fridge is the stench.

Today’s text is all about aroma; three different scents. The first involves Paul’s trip to Troas. It isn’t the refrigerator this time, but God opens a door and something doesn’t smell right to Paul. The door is a door of opportunity for Paul to preach in Troas. But he can’t find his buddy, Titus, there, so he turns his nose up at it. Something to ponder in our ministries – sometimes the key piece for success is having the right partner. Maybe some of our young missionary preachers, our church planters, could be successful if they just had a good partner (like a sponsoring church). 

The second scent of this aromatic text is the aroma of Christ in the life of His followers. Any of you guys remember the after shave your Dad used? Cast a whiff of Old Spice in my direction and I am right back in the arms of my father. That fragrance melts my heart. Jesus has a unique fragrance as well. It is the smell of truth, of love, of devotion to His Father. Disciples of Jesus exude the same character qualities. We give off the same scent. And Paul says the presence of Eau de Jesu has a powerful proving effect. The ones who love God, love it. The ones who shun God, can’t stand it. Keep the aroma of Christ radiating from your life, regardless of who you draw and who you drive away.

There is one final scent in today’s text. Some who are drawn to the fragrance of Christ are even more allured by the smell of money. The gospel becomes a commodity to them and the ministry of those peddlers goes afoul. Their interest is exclusively on the offering; the financial offering they consider their own collection. But their service to God is an offering that reeks in His nostrils. Where is the Eau de Jesu? It is absent.

Every so often we need to pop the lid on our ministry. Take a whiff. If you’ve got solid partnerships, Christ’s character, and holy motivation – you’ll be smelling like a rose. (Hey, anybody know how long a rose will keep in the refrigerator?)

Pray: God, I want to be to you the aroma of Christ. Just like so many scents evoke strong memories and emotions in me, let me life produce blessed moments and stir up joy in Your heart. Let my presence in this world not be neutral, but let me stand out as the fragrance of Christ-like character emanates from my every word and deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment