August 18 - 1 Corinthians 11:17-34 - J.O.Y.

So, I’m driving with Sandie down Shaw Avenue in Fresno after the CSBC New Pastors’ Orientation and she says, “There’s the Men’s Wearhouse. Do you still have that gift card in your wallet?” I pull over. By golly, I do. We go in the store and Hector comes over to offer his services. We thank him and tell him we’ll call him when we need him. Seems like the best value in the store today is shoes, so I pick a comfortable pair of black Dockers. I ask Hector if he can show me a pair in size 11. He gets the shoes and sits down in front of me to help slide me into them. Hector begins the conversation –

            “So, what do you do for a living?”

            “I just started a new job as Director of a network of about fifty Baptist churches. My job is to help them to be healthy, growing churches.”

            “Wow, that’s good work. A very noble vocation.”

            “Thank you. Yes. I’m very glad to be doing this work.”

            “My girlfriend is Baptist. I’m Catholic. But I’m going to this Baptist event with her next week.”

So, now I could get into the whole contrasting theology and practice thing, but the Holy Spirit puts on my lips …

            “Well, we agree on the Cross, don’t we. God loves us and gave us the greatest gift in Christ on the cross.”

            “Yes, that’s true.  [pause]  I probably don’t think about that as often as I should.”

            “Mmmm. We should think about that often.”

Hector gets called to the back room. Kind of ironic; Hector is a Catholic and could go to his local parish and participate in the Eucharist – the Lord’s Supper – every week and think on the Body and the Blood, the gift of God in Christ on the cross.

Today’s reading talks about the Lord’s Supper, unfortunately in the context of its abuse by the Corinthian church. In that day, the Supper was part of a larger communal meal, a “potluck” if you will. It was called the ‘love feast.’ Paul has to discipline them for having the feast and not the love. Many in the church were arriving early with their food and drink and being gluttonous and careless of others. They would even be drunk before the gathering was over! Paul sternly rebukes them, identifying their selfishness and reminding them that this is about Jesus first – commemoration, and others next – communion. That’s where the real joy is; not in bloated stomachs and the buzz of wine. The real joy in the Lord’s Supper, and in the Christian life at large, is in Jesus, Others, and then Yourself.  J.O.Y.

When I had picked out a belt to go with my shoes, and Hector finished ringing me up, I left him with this …

            “Hector, live your life out of a heart of thanksgiving for the cross of Christ. Thankfulness for God’s love – that’s the key.”

            “That’s good, Bob. I need to remember that. You need to keep coming back and reminding me!”

No, just keep coming back to the Cross, Hector, like the Lord’s Supper helps us to do.

Pray: Crucified and Risen Lord, help brother Hector and his girlfriend to pursue you and find you. May they celebrate the Lord’s Supper together and together discover the joy of being one with You and with your disciples. Call all of us to the Cross often. There is where our relationship priorities fall back into the right order.  J.O.Y.

2 comments: