September 13 - 2 Corinthians 13:1-14 - Lord, May I?

Now that I think back on it, one of the more confounding games that I played as a kid was “Mother May I.” Someone got to be “Mother” and they were in control of the game. The players lined up about fifteen feet away from “Mother” and awaited her commands. ‘Bob, take three giant steps.’ I would be required to ask, “Mother, may I?” And then “Mother” could choose to grant permission, or not. The idea was not to forget to ask for permission, and to perform the command as given. The commands were supposed to facilitate movement toward “Mother.” Whoever made it to “Mother” first was the winner.

This is confounding to me because ... why did any of us ever want to be anyone but “Mother?” It was ‘her’ game, and the rest were just pawns to be toyed with. That we all followed the rules and deferred to being manipulated is mind-boggling. Perhaps research has been done and some psycho-social explanation exists, but I am baffled by that childhood behavior. I could more reasonably expect kids to challenge the person who ever suggested “Mother May I.” “No way, why should I do what you tell me? Who made you the boss?”

Seems to me people just naturally resist being controlled or placed under authority. And just as naturally, people enjoy exercising control or having the power to dictate. The apostle Paul saw himself as a person of authority who had a right to confront, correct, and make demands of the Corinthian church. He saw the source of his authority as the call and sending of God. In other words, his authority over the church was based on God’s authority over Paul. But this authority was challenged; it met with some resistance in the church at Corinth. What could Paul bring as evidence of his authority’s legitimacy?

Paul’s legitimate authority could be supported by his testimony –
“Jesus met me in Damascus and gave me this assignment!” His authority could be validated by collaborators – “Barnabbas, Timothy, Titus, Luke, Apollos … these can vouch for my legitimacy.” Most tellingly, his authority could be legitimized by his character – “We are weak in [Christ], yet by God’s power we will live with Him to serve you.” “…authority – the authority the Lord gave me for building you up, not for tearing you down.”

As pastors, church and ministry leaders, we do have authority according to our calling and according to the endorsement of those we serve, and serve with. But the thing that really put’s the stamp of legitimacy on our authority is the manner and purpose by which we use it. Do we just enjoy dictating, manipulating, granting and withholding permission? Or does the power of God show through us as we live to serve others?

Let’s exercise authority to build others up, not tear them down.

Pray: Gracious Lord, help me to use my power, influence and authority to build up Your Body. Grant me wisdom, kindness and generosity for my leadership role. Guide my boldness and discipline to make it an instrument of correction toward what is right and good. Lord, may I do everything in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment