September 27 - Ephesians 5:1-33 - A Genuine Imitation

Did you know that the word ‘oxymoron’ is itself an oxymoron? It’s a compound word from the Greek that joins ‘oxy,’ meaning sharp with ‘moros,’ meaning dull. But, I’ve met people who are at the same time very bright and very boring. That would make them both sharp and dull. No oxymoron there. Any group of objects laid down in sequence would have an order, even if they were laid down randomly – so ‘random order’ isn’t really an oxymoron. Nine minus six equals three, and ten minus seven equals three – ‘same difference.’ No oxymoron there. People who are squinting at the ceiling and scratching their heads while reading this are ‘clearly confused.’ The confusion on their part is clearly expressed, so again, no oxymoron.

What about ‘genuine imitation?’ I suppose it qualifies if you’re talking about designer clothing knock-offs. But, I actually like the idea of a genuine imitation – that is, a sincere attempt at emulating the way of a mentor or role model. Much of my parenting was aimed at genuine imitation. I behaved in ways that were constructive and noble so that my children would imitate me, and develop a genuine appreciation for those same values. In today’s text, Christians are charged to “be imitators of God.” I’m sure from the Gospels’ treatment of Phariseeism that a superficial imitation is not in view here. What is being called for is a ‘genuine imitation.’

So what does genuine imitation of God look like? First, it’s living a life of love. Three forms of the word ‘love’ are used in the first sentence of this chapter of Ephesians. Imitating God means prioritizing love and understanding it’s sacrificial nature. We must learn to live for the benefit of others and for the pleasure of God; a “fragrant [love] offering.”

Second, it’s living as light. Light is a metaphor for truth, goodness, and righteousness. If we commit ourselves to honest living, doing good to others, and conforming our behavior to God’s holy standards, then we will be living as light. Light also pierces darkness and makes things plain and clear. By living as light we can help others to see and pursue the life of light.

Third, genuine imitation involves living as wise. There are a lot of tempting activities and deceptive justifications for them out there. The life of selfishness and dabbling in the dark beckons. But that is the way of sleepwalkers. “Wake up, O sleeper, and rise from the dead …” To live comfortably with greed, obscenity, and disobedience to God is the way of spiritual unconsciousness. It’s dead living. (And that’s not an oxymoron, either.) Be constantly renewed by the Holy Spirit and maintain a heart filled with music and thanksgiving. This is evidence of the life of wisdom.

Finally, imitation of God involves living to serve. The text comes full circle as the imperative to “submit to one another” fleshes itself out in terms of love and respect. We submit to, or serve, each other as an act of worship. Jesus is the ultimate submitter/servant. He submits to the Father’s plan and serves all, even unto death on the cross! To honor Christ is to love as He loved; submitting to God in truth, goodness, and righteousness, disdaining and exposing the darkness of evil, and walking in the Spirit and in wisdom.

To live in genuine imitation of God would be awfully good … um … oops … I mean, awesomely good.

Pray: Loving, All-Wise, Father of Light, make me like you. Teach me, help me, guide me, discipline me. Keep filling me with your Spirit. Wake me up. Raise me up. Shine on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment