October 12 - 1 Thessalonians 5:4-28 - Almost Asleep at the Wheel

Man, what a week it’s been. I taught my preaching class Sunday afternoon, spent Monday doing final preps for consultancy training and the Men’s Retreat, received three full days of training away from home, left for the retreat Friday afternoon (two more days away from home) and drove back Sunday afternoon just in time to teach three more hours of preaching methods. I must admit, during the drive back home, crawling down 101 past Petaluma, my body tried to fall asleep. I cranked up the air conditioning and started blinking twice a second. I massaged my forehead and slapped my cheeks. I explained what was going on to my passengers; they began singing with me and engaged me in a vigorous theological discussion. That did it. I was back to ‘alert.’ Sleep was not going to control me.

Paul wrote to the Thessalonians about ‘sleep.’ He said that those who are moving through this life without a saving knowledge of Christ are asleep at the wheel. You know how dangerous an unconscious driver can be. People who are spiritually unconscious are dangerous, too. There is a great deal of chaos and suffering caused by lives that are out of control. 
I just got back from facilitating a home cell group, where our topic was “Creating Safe Environments” for healthy relationships. Nearly every person spoke about the chaos and suffering in their family of origin, caused by a relative who was ‘asleep at the wheel.’

Those of us who are in Christ have His Spirit in us to keep us alert. Like a fresh blast from the air conditioner, like a song of praise, the Spirit helps us fight the flesh and its tendency to fade out. With my self under the Spirit’s control, I become aware of God’s will for my life. I can remain bright and navigate life’s highway according to the signs and directions of His Word.

God’s destinations for us in this world are not always revealed in advance. His will for us often comes in the form of “hows,” and not so much “wheres” and “whens.” The spiritually alert are awake to this idea. Look at what Paul says about the will of God in this text. It is God's will that we ...

Encourage and edify others
Respect hard-working church leaders
Live in peace
Encourage the timid
Help the weak
Be patient with everybody
Be kind to each other
Be joyful always
Pray continually
Give thanks in all circumstances
Don’t quench the Spirit
Don’t hold prophecy in contempt
Test everything; hold on to the good
and Avoid evil of every kind

Man, what a trip! How are we going to navigate our days like THAT? By staying awake, alert and under control by the Holy Spirit. And by taking some friends with you who can sing you out of your sleepiness.

Pray: Lord, thank you for eternal life. Help me to live that life with my eyes wide open. Keep me alert and under control. Show me your will and empower me to accomplish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment