October 15 - 2 Thessalonians 3:1-18 - When He Acts Lax, Ax the Slacker

Have you ever worked in an environment where people wanted to get as much pay as possible for the least amount of work possible? I have. I was hired on 90-day probation and during that time all the ‘probies’ worked their tails off; we wanted a secure job that paid well. Everyone who was beyond their 90 days stood by as we carried the majority of the load. Then after we made it to full-fledged employee, we were regularly chided to slow down. We were making the slackers look bad and taking their overtime away from them. Can you say, “morale-buster?” I lasted in that de-motivating workplace one year. The excellent pay scale just couldn’t compensate for the dreadful idleness I had to face every single day.

Not exactly sure about the reason behind the idleness at Thessalonica, but it was significant enough for Paul to address in today’s text. You gotta love Paul’s wordplay – “They’re not busy; they’re busybodies!” I found that to be true with the job I mentioned above. Maybe the guys thought they were getting paid to work their jaw muscles. Were they getting compensated by the hour, or by the word? They needed to hear Paul’s urgent command – “Settle down and earn your bread!”

Paul compares his own work ethic to the idlers, so maybe there is a spiritual or ‘spiritualizing’ component to this. Paul was an evangelist missionary, and often received gifts of support as he pursued his calling. He had said it is right for those who proclaim the gospel to make a living from the gospel, but he also prescribed working hard so as not to be a burden to one’s hearers. Perhaps some in Thessalonica thought they could casually toss a few spiritual words here and there and expect to get fed or paid for it. After all, what a gig! I once knew a woman who thought I only worked one day a week because I was a pastor. Spiritualizing our laziness is ignoble and irreverent.

Working with idle-leaning people is very de-motivating. Fighting apathy is tiring. The more you try to lead by example, the more they let you do the work. The more you try to inspire and encourage with little response, the less you want to try. Paul understood this. “Don’t tire of doing what is right.” He understood that the frustration can also stir anger and ill-will. “May the Lord of peace Himself give you peace at all times and in every way.”

If you are getting tired, frustrated, ornery in your ministry, trying to shift the idling into any gear but neutral, I have one more word from Paul for you – “May the Lord direct your heart into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.”

Pray: Lord of peace, bring peace to my troubled soul. Help me to persevere in love with the careless, listless and lazy. Help me to continue to be a model of diligence and faithfulness to Your calling. And through our devoted service, may Your message spread rapidly and be honored.

2 comments:

  1. Bob this is what I face at work almost every day. I do my work as unto the Lord and this way it helps me from being to discouraged with the ones at work who are not willing to help with the work load. I am so thankful for the effort you put into these daily bits of encoragement from Gods word. You are a blessing to so many,keep on keeping on. In His service Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lynn. Stay faithful by the power of His joy! God sees your labor and is well-pleased.

    ReplyDelete