October 27 - Titus 2:1-15 - Teach Them to Control Their Selves

Ever noticed how many people have control issues, have to manipulate things and people, and at the same time how many people are out of control? I guess it’s that people want to control everything but themselves. To control everything and yet not be controlled by anything is a definition of God. Subtly, neurotically, people reveal that their desire is to be God. But since God is God and we are not, the answer to our control issues is faith. If God is the One in control, then we will have to trust Him to take care of us. We don’t have to throw off restraint and manipulate our environment and relationships to gain some semblance of peace. We simply have to rest in His goodness and mercy.

I was stunned to see the concept of ‘self-control’ repeated five times in today’s brief portion of Scripture. Every age group Paul refers to – older men, older women, younger women and young men – seems to have a self-control problem. And then in verse 12, he makes a general statement about all people, and again includes the need for self-control. Remember, Titus is on the island of Crete where even their own spokespeople say ‘Cretans are constant liars, evil brutes, and lazy gluttons.’ Titus 1:12. Yeah, that sounds like self-control problems to me.

What is even more stunning in this passage is the repetition of verbs related to teaching. The words ‘teach,’ ‘train’ and ‘encourage’ appear twelve times in fifteen verses! The Word is telling us that we can actually teach each other to be self-controlled. But notice it doesn’t say “teach them to control themselves.” People can’t control themselves. We can only be ‘self-controlled.’ We can have the self under control, but we cannot have the self controlling the self. That would be like asking a broken tool to fix itself. To be self-controlled is to place the self under the Holy Spirit’s control. Paul wrote to Titus, “The grace of God that brings salvation [that brings the Holy Spirit into the life of a person] … teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness … and to live self-controlled …”

Galatians 5:22 names self-control as a fruit of the Spirit. Self-control is not an act of reining myself in by my own power; it is the condition of disciplined peace I find myself in because I find the Spirit is in me. So how do I teach people to be self-controlled, that is, controlled by the Spirit? I teach them the gospel of the grace of God that brings to them the controlling Spirit. I teach them of a “great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness [including impotent self-rule]…” And I do as verse 7 instructs: “In everything set them an example …” As one possessing the Spirit, demonstrate the fruit of that Spirit, which includes self-control.

People can’t control themselves, but they can control their self – by surrendering it to Jesus Christ.

Pray: Spirit of God, teach me to stop trying to control my self and rather assist me in turning my self over to You. Cultivate in me the fruit of self-control. Help me to be a good example to those around me of a person yielded to Jesus Christ. Help me to teach the gospel and the blessings of grace. Make me an instrument of Your peace to all who come in contact with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment