October 25 - 2 Timothy 4: 1-22 - Preach the Word

What a joy – this preaching class of mine! Six humble, passionate, students devoted and delighted to learn. Our aim was to hear an eight minute/one-point sermon from each of them yesterday afternoon. In the end, it was a three-hour symphony of Spirit-empowered truths. God-qualities on top of faith promises on top of encouragements on top of exhortations – it was an avalanche of blessing. When the Word and the Spirit are at the center of our attention and opened up through sound and careful practices, the treasures of the Kingdom come pouring out.

Paul knew that the proclamation of the Word of God was the very core purpose of the church. He was facing his final days, and I imagine knowing one’s end is approaching can be quite clarifying. “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith,” so before I go I must leave you with the most important charge – “Preach the Word!” When all that Paul had to say and do was said and done, the one thing he could not allow was the death of solid preaching. Proclamation matters. Sound doctrine matters. Rebuke, correction, and encouragement matter. If we don’t preach God’s truth, many will be happy to preach their own version of truth. Their own ears and wants will be set up as the standard of acceptable proclamation. ‘Doctrine is sound if it says what I want it to say.’

Prepare yourself, Paul says. That’s what my wonderful class is doing. They will be prepared in any situation; in any season. They will “keep their heads” in every situation. Because their heads, their thinking, will have been informed and transformed by the living Word. To preach the Word, you must know the Word. You must hunger and thirst for it. You must be a student of it. You must love it. Paul had a partner named Demas. Demas at last showed his true love. He did not love the Word. He loved the world. And so, he deserted the cause of Christ. Are you drawn to the Word? Or are you drawn toward the world?

Though so many failed in their steadfastness, Paul says, “the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed.” The Lord fortifies those who love His Word. The Lord wants His great, good message to be preserved, undiluted. He wants it spread to all people, preached among all nations. There are still almost 7,000 unreached people groups of almost 3 billion people on our planet. That’s a lot of preaching that needs to take place.

Are you ready to take up the charge? Are you prepared? Getting prepared? Do you know how to give “careful instruction … with great patience”? Many faithful leaders are going the way of all flesh; they are coming to the end of their service. Will there be any to take their place? Whose Timothy are you? Do you have a Timothy? Become a student of the Word and learn how to declare it accurately and clearly. Gain all you can from the preachers who came before you, and do all you can to train the next generation.

40% of humanity is still waiting for someone to come to them and “Preach the Word!”

Pray: Coming King, make my love for you and my love for a lost world invigorate my love for your Word. Make me a messenger. Help me be part of the solution to preserving sound doctrine. Grant me courage to rebuke and correct. Grant me passion to instruct and encourage. Multiply the ‘school of preachers’ that all people across the globe might hear of Your glory and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment