October 22 - 2 Timothy 1: 1-18 - Power to Speak, to Suffer, and to Stay

You may have noticed the missing entries this week. My wife’s Aunt passed away in Halifax, MA. Aunt Bunnie had asked me years ago if I would officiate her memorial service. I promised I would, and I had to be a man of my word. Sandie and I had some final planning and leadership responsibilities for our Associational Annual meeting last Friday and Saturday. Then we packed and left on the red-eye to Boston late Saturday night. It has been a bittersweet time in New England, commemorating a wonderful 92 year-old lady, comforting family, visiting old friends from our ministry days in Peabody, all wrapped in the splendor of fall foliage. All in all, it has been a blessed time, and we are grateful.

Today’s Scripture portion is timely then for me, with its mentions of death, of family and friends, of giftedness for ministry and the goodness of the gospel. When death visits, it’s good to remember “our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.” Paul refers to Timothy, his spiritual son, Timothy’s mother, Timothy’s grandmother, and his own forefathers. He reminds us of the flow of history, the inevitable passing of time. The inevitable passing of people. And the inevitable passing of the torch for the perpetuation of the faith. Each generation is peeled away as layers of an onion. When death comes you look hard at where you are in line. One or two more losses at our parents’ layer and then … we’re next! But we need not fear. “God did not give us a spirit of timidity.” Christ has put death to death. Life, abundant and immortal, is ours in Him. So we “fan into flame the gift of God” which is in us and press forward. There is a spiritual heritage to honor! There is a legacy of faith to leave! There is ministry to be done and testimony to be given of the greatness of the gospel.

Sometimes it isn’t death that is daunting, but persecution that produces the fear. Together, Paul uses the words ‘timidity’ and ‘ashamed’ five times in this short passage. “Don’t be ashamed to testify,” he writes. “I was appointed a herald … that is why I am suffering,” he declares. “Yet I am not ashamed!” Paul names those who have deserted the ministry and those who have excelled in the ministry. Some are ashamed and fear suffering. They desert. Some stay, firm and faithful. They know how to suffer “by the power of God.” (What an invitation – ‘Join me in suffering by the power of God!) They know the trustworthiness of the Savior and “the help of the Holy Spirit.”

Where does your life flow from? What is your gift for ministry? Whose lineage do you stand in and what legacy will you leave? God gave you a spirit of “power, and love, and of self-discipline.” Be a fearless herald. Your time is now.

Pray: Father, Savior, Holy Spirit, help me to know You even as I have believed in You. Convince me of your powers; Your power to defeat fear and death, Your power to grant eternal life, and Your power to help us keep the faith every tick of the relentless clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment